Entertainment Earth

9/11/2011

Warrior

Title: Warrior
Director: Gavin O'Connor
Writers: Gavin O'Connor, Anthony Tambakis, and Cliff Dorfman
Cast: Tom Hardy, Nick Nolte, Joel Edgerton, Jennifer Morrison, Frank Grillo, Kevin Dunn

Tommy (Tom Hardy), the youngest of two sons, enlists his former alcoholic father (Nick Nolte) to train him for an MMA tournament. Meanwhile, his older brother Brendan (Joel Edgerton), a former UFC fighter turned high school teacher, is facing eviction along with his pretty wife (the leggy Jennifer Mossison) and their two kids. He decides to return to the world of MMA (mix martial arts) to get the cash he and his family desperately need. But, this estranged family are on the path on confrontation.

This is an excellent and amazing film. One does not need to be a fan of MMA to enjoy it, since there is a lot of great aspects of it that will appeal to all fans of quality cinema. Of course, if you are a fellow fan of this great sport (I, myself, simply love MMA), then you most definitely need to see it.

The acting is perfect from the whole cast. Hardy gives my favorite acting of the year, so far. He plays a character that is tough and yet totally admirable. Edgerton is also great, as is Nolte (who I have always been a big fan of), both of whom add great sympathy to their respective roles.

The story is involving, though I wish the trailer didn't give away so damn much. Regardless, I felt myself get caught up in the story. I felt pumped up, and also moved. There are some touching and heartfelt moments (involving such themes as heroism and family), but also some genuinely kick ass parts of the movie that had me wanting to go whoop some ass myself. I found myself cheering during the duration of the film for both our heroes, throughout various parts of the it.

I also felt inspired by the movie. Here are two brothers who struggle to get where they are at. You want them succeed and feel for them, and even feel that you can do it, too (not fight in MMA, necessarily, but just succeed in general).

I love the way the fight scenes were shot and edited. There are some cool POV shots, where you feel you are getting pummeled. Hardy is a fucking animal in the octagon and made my blood pump as I felt ready to take on the world, myself. Fight fans should also pay attention, to the cameos by one of my fav UFC guys Rashad Evans and WWE/ TNA legend Kurt Angle. Angle's role is fucking cool, and if you are a fellow wrestling you will find the irony in it so awesome!

In all, Warrior is my favorite movie that I have seen so far, this year. It left me feeling great, as if I could take on the world itself, yet it was able to touch my heart as well. I give this movie my highest possible recommendation.

**** out of ****

0 comments: